Your privacy and trust are important to us
This Privacy Notice explains how Hitachi Energy Ltd and the group of companies belonging to Hitachi Energy Ltd (referred to as ’Hitachi Energy’s, ‘we’, ‘us’, or ‘ our’) collect, use and share your personal data
Who we are and how to contact us
Hitachi Energy Ltd is a company incorporated under the laws of Switzerland, with registered office at Brown-Boveri-Strasse 5, 8050 Zurich, Switzerland, registered with the Commercial Registry of the Canton of Zurich under registration number CHE-339.599.331.
In addition, the group of companies belonging to Hitachi Energy Ltd is made up of numerous legal entities with offices located across the globe.
If you have any questions, concerns, comments or complaints regarding our privacy notice, please contact our Data Protection Officer and the DPO’s team via email@example.com. If you would like to exercise any of your rights under applicable data protection law, please complete the relevant form here.
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection and/or consumers laws in relation to your personal data. It’s our policy to respect your rights and we will act promptly and in accordance with applicable legislation. Please note that some of these rights may be limited where we have an overriding interest or legal obligation to continue to process the data or where data such data is needed for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims. Details of your rights are set out below:
For consumers who reside in the State of California: you have the right to opt-out of the disclosure of your personal information for monetary or other valuable consideration.
You can object to the processing of your personal data, ask us to restrict processing of your personal data or request portability of your personal data. You can exercise these rights by submitting the relevant form here.
You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. We will keep your name and email address on our CRM databases in order to prevent future communications. If you prefer that your data is deleted from our CRM databases, please complete the relevant form here. If you decide that you don’t want to receive marketing content from us, please note that we may still be required to send you emails regarding factual, transactional and/or servicing information in connection with the products and services that we are providing to you or the organization through which you are known to us.
If we have collected and processed your personal data with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal data conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Union and the UK are available here. Contact details of the Swiss data protection authority are available here.)
What personal data we process, why and the legal basis we rely on to process your personal data
Hitachi Energy collects and processes different types of personal data about employees, such as:
· Personal details and identification data such as name, personal and business address, personal and business telephone number, personal and business email address or any other contact details, date and country of birth.
· Personal data related to family and social circumstances such as gender, age, marital and family status (including also the name and contact details of the next of kin).
· Employment related personal data such as employee number, signature, employment status, social security and tax numbers, insurance number, country of residence, nationality, photo, emergency contacts and passport information, work and residence permit, immigration status and travel visa information.
· Job information and work metrics such as position, title, employment contract, payroll ID, line manager, job band, employment status,
· Compensation, allowances, benefits and expense related information such as salary data, payroll data, pension plan number and contributions, non-salary benefits, bonus, compensation, share options, dependents, beneficiaries or health benefit nomination, bank statements, expense claims and receipts, bank account details, credit card data, phone expenses and insurance data.
· Financial and other details such as account information, credit checks, payment details and transactions, investigation information and disciplinary history.
In some cases, we may process special categories of data:
· Religious and political beliefs
· Health data
· Sexual orientation
We process personal data about our employees for the following purposes:
· human resources management including organization and personal administration
· conflict of interest and security obligations and prevention, governance, risk and compliance, including compliance with laws, law enforcement, court and regulatory bodies’ requirements customs and global trade compliance, detection, investigation and remediation of crime and fraud or prohibited activities or to otherwise protect legal rights and to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
Certain personal data collected from you relates to your next of kin and emergency contacts. In these cases, you are requested to inform such persons about this Notice.
Legal grounds for processing personal data of employees
· We rely on our legitimate interests to process your personal data insofar as this is not overridden by your own privacy interests. Such interests may include:
o monitoring, investigating and ensuring compliance with legal, regulatory, standard and Hitachi Energy internal requirements and policies;
o prevention of fraud and criminal activity including investigations of such activity, misuse of Hitachi Energy assets, products and services, and
o transmitting personal data within the Hitachi Energy group for internal administrative purposes as necessary, for example to provide centralized services.
· In some cases, we process your personal data on the basis of statutory requirements, for example, on the basis of labor and social security law, allowances, tax or reporting obligations, cooperation obligations with authorities or statutory retention periods in order to carry out our contractual responsibilities as an employer;
With regard to special categories of personal data we will only process such data in accordance with applicable law and:
· with your explicit consent for specific activities in accordance with applicable law;
· when necessary for exercising rights based on employment, social security or social protection law or as authorized by collective agreement, or for preventive and occupational medicine or and evaluation of working abilities; or
· where necessary for establishment, exercise and defense of legal claims.
· With regard to personal data concerning criminal convictions and offences, we will only process such data where such processing is permitted by applicable (local) law.
With whom do we share your personal data
We take care to allow your personal data to be accessed only by those who really need to in order to perform their tasks and duties, and to third parties who have a legitimate purpose for accessing it. We disclose your personal data to the following categories of recipients:
We have not disclosed to other businesses or third parties any personal information for monetary or other valuable consideration within the twelve months preceding the effective date of this Privacy Notice. We have disclosed personal information to our support providers for business purposes in the prior twelve months. The information we have disclosed for business purposes may include some or all of the categories listed above.
For more information about the categories of entities to which we have disclosed this information and the purposes for which we have disclosed the information, please see “With whom we share your personal data”.
While Hitachi Energy does not sell personal information in exchange for any monetary consideration, we do share personal information for other benefits that could be deemed a “sale,” as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act (Cal. Civ. Code 1798.140(t)(1)). We support the CCPA and wish to provide you with control over how your personal information is collected and shared. You have the right to direct Hitachi Energy to not sell your personal information. If you wish to opt-out of sale of your information, please submit our CCPA request form here or contact us via +1 (800) 290 5290.
With respect to cookies, you can always customize your settings at any time. Please note that we may still use aggregated and de-identified personal information that does not identify you or any individual; we may also retain information as needed in order to comply with legal obligations, enforce agreements, and resolve disputes.
We transfer or disclose the personal data we collect to external support providers (and their subsidiaries and affiliates) who are engaged by us to support our internal ancillary processes. For example, we engage support providers to provide (a) general office support including printing, document production and management, archiving, and translation services; (b) accounting, finance and billing support; (c) IT functions including system management and security, data storage, analytics, business applications, voicemail and replication of systems for business continuity/disaster recovery purposes; (d) HR functions including payroll and payment providers, training providers; recruitment agencies and (d) conflict checking, risk management and quality reviews. It is our policy to only use third-party support providers that are bound to maintain appropriate levels of data protection, security and confidentiality, and that comply with any applicable legal requirements for transferring personal data outside the jurisdiction in which it was originally collected
Depending on the purpose for which we collect and process your personal data, we share your personal data with the following recipients:
- Professional advisors, such as law firms, tax advisors or auditors
- Pension funds
- Tax and customs
- Regulatory and other professional bodies
- Stock exchange and listing authorities
- Public registries of company directors and shareholdings
- Providers of identity verification services
- Credit reference agencies
- Insolvency administrators or creditors
- Travel agents
- Government departments and agencies
If we go through a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, personal data we gather from you will be transferred in connection with such an event. Any acquirer or successor of Hitachi Energy may continue to use the data as described in this notice provided that the acquirer or successor is bound by appropriate agreements or obligations and may only use or disclose your personal data in a manner consistent with the use and disclosure provisions of this notice, or unless you consent otherwise.
There are circumstances under which Hitachi Energy is legally compelled to disclose your personal data. These circumstances include, among others, situations where disclosure is required by law applicable to Hitachi Energy, or necessary to comply with an order of a court or governmental agency, export control, or necessary for matters of safety and security. In such cases, Hitachi Energy will only provide the minimum amount of personal data permissible when responding to a request for disclosure.
How do we protect your personal data
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the personal data that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal data.
How long do we keep your personal data
We will retain personal data we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
If you have questions about, or need further information concerning our data retention periods, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Countries where we process your personal data and International data transfers
Our Hitachi Energy entities and third-party service providers operate in Switzerland, the EEA, the UK and all countries around the world. This means that when we collect your personal data it will be processed in countries that may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country. An overview of the Hitachi Energy locations around the world is available here.
We have taken appropriate safeguards to require that the personal data we process will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice when transferred internationally, including when processed internationally by our third-party support providers and partners.
The safeguards we have taken include implementing the European Commission's Standard Contractual Clauses for transfers of personal information to our Hitachi Energy entities that are established outside the EEA. All Hitachi Energy entities are required to process personal data in accordance with local data protection legislation, as well as the GDPR principles and the OECD privacy guidelines.
We have also implemented similar appropriate safeguards with our third party support providers and partners. The transfer of personal data to third party service providers outside of the EEA takes place on the basis of data protection adequacy decisions by the European Commission (or by the UK Information Commissioner, where applicable) or via the implementation of EU data protection standard contractual clauses. Our data processing agreements are based on the GDPR principles (where applicable) and the OECD privacy guidelines.
For Japanese data subjects, information about the personal information protection system of various foreign countries where your data could be processed is available here. An overview of data protection and privacy legislation worldwide is available here.
If you have questions about, or need further information concerning, international data transfers, please send an email to email@example.com
Updates to this Privacy Notice
We will update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to legal, technical and/or business developments. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the end of this Privacy Notice.
Last update: 12 December 2022