Transformers with TVP® Technology
Welcome to the Future of Transformers Reliability!
At Hitachi Energy, we have pioneered a groundbreaking solution designed to safeguard your transformers like never before – Transformers with Transient Voltage Protection (TVP®) Technology.
After successfully installing 2500 units of dry-type transformers in diverse applications and geographical regions with TVP® technology over the past 7 years, with no known field failures, Hitachi Energy has expanded the TVP® technology to liquid-filled transformers too.
Elevate your distribution transformers to new heights of reliability and resilience.
Watch the film to learn more.
Why is protection from transient voltage important?
If your processes require a lot of electrical network switching or if your electrical networks are causing a lot of nuisance tripping, then your transformers are at risk of premature failure due to switching transients - that would result in a costly outage.
Medium voltage, fast-acting circuit breakers like Vacuum Circuit Breakers (VCBs) pose a unique and pressing concern across industries: transient voltage.
While Vacuum Circuit Breakers (VCBs) have incredible arc-quenching capabilities that bring increased safety and efficiency to electrical systems, in certain system configurations and procedural operations, VCB (and SF6) switching can produce fast transient overvoltages inside of transformer windings, some leading to failures. These failures result in system downtime and irreparable equipment, both incredibly costly to network managers.
For an in-depth understanding of the threat from transient voltage, please visit the blog post on The Hidden Threat: Transient Voltage.
The only perfect solution: Hitachi Energy’s Transformers with TVP® technology
Transformers with Transient Voltage Protection (TVP®) Technology by Hitachi Energy provide complete protection for your electrical systems at every single switching instance. Their network-agnostic design makes them the best fit for you, no matter what your network configuration is or how often switching operations are performed.
Our transformers equipped with TVP® have varistors strategically integrated into the transformer windings to enhance the coil technology. Their location protects coils from both reignitions and resonance amplification during switching events, thereby completely eliminating the risk of any damage from sudden transient peaks and subsequent costs of downtime and repair/replacement.
Figure 1: Worst-case switching scenario of a 20kV Dry type transformer
The waveforms in Figures 1 and 2 below represent actual laboratory testing, representing worst-case switching scenarios for 20kV Dry type and liquid-filled transformers. It is evident from these charts that TVP® limits transient voltage peaks to a controlled, predictable level that is safe for the transformer.
Figure 2: Worst-case switching scenario of a 20kV liquid filled transformer
What makes TVP® stand out from other available solutions?
- As TVP® works in all system configurations, no complex and time-consuming system is required
- Competitive solution over RC snubber
- Does not alter the transformer footprint
- TVP® solution comes inbuilt with Hitachi Energy Transformers and does not require any additional maintenance- no site installation hassle for customers/end users.
- TVP® is the only solution that limits transient voltages to a controlled, predictable, safe level.
- It protects transformers and downstream equipment from both reignitions and resonance over-voltages.
Proven field record
- ~2,500 units of TVP® equipped Hitachi Energy Dry-type transformers operating in the field for over 5 years.
- No field failure was reported.
- Proven for a diverse range of applications such as Datacenter, Industries, Rail Infrastructure, mainstream, etc.
Resources for In-Depth Understanding:
Submit your inquiry and we will contact you