Reconnect with Hitachi Energy at Energy and Mines Australia Summit
We’re excited to meet you in person once again. As Hitachi Energy, we look forward to sharing with you our commitment to advancing a sustainable energy future for all.
Attend our panel session on 7 September to learn how Hitachi Energy applies deep industry expertise and advanced battery energy storage technology to help mine operators decarbonize their power systems.
Join us for an interactive panel on Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) Developments for Mines
Date: Wednesday 7 September 2022
Time: 09:50 – 10:40
Major Australian miners including Fortescue Metals Group, BHP and Rio Tinto are already integrating large battery energy storage systems (BESS) as part of their decarbonisation strategies while many others are adding and assessing smaller storage systems as part of mining hybrids. This panel will provide an update on the latest BESS technology advances and applications for mining. Some of the questions being addressed will include:
- How do miners view the role of energy storage as part of decarbonisation and how is the focus shifting from battery technology performance to the role of advanced inverters and power system modeling?
- What are the key considerations when assessing energy storage options and how can storage address the technical challenges of maximising intermittent renewable energy for mines?
- How are contracting models changing for battery energy storage systems to reflect the need for zero emission operation without fossil fuel generators?
- What are the latest operational results, benchmarks, challenges and best practices for BESS at mine sites? And what lessons have been learned from operational storage projects for mines?
- How do the business cases for integrating BESS for spinning reserve vs. adding more renewable energy stack up?
Juergen Zimmermann heads Business Development and Technology for Hitachi Energy’s Grid Edge & Microgrid Solutions Business in Australia and New Zealand and has been involved in the development and construction of microgrids for over 30 years.
Juergen is responsible for developing new projects and innovative solutions for off grid as well as grid connected microgrids, including those that use grid forming inverters to stabilize large power systems. A strong supporter of clean energy, Juergen has spent his career focused on how small and large economies can safely and economically integrate renewable energy into their power systems. He was instrumental in developing high penetration wind/diesel systems in Mawson/Antarctica and solar/diesel systems in Marble Bar and Nullagine, WA.
Current projects include the world’s largest grid forming Battery System at ESCRI in South Australia and as well as lithium-ion battery Energy Storage System (BESS) for oil & gas company Woodside, in Western Australia.
The Energy and Mines Australia Summit is a must-attend event for miners that are transforming their operations by integrating digital technologies and energy storage systems in the pursuit of realizing a low-cost, low-carbon energy future.
The event brings senior mining leaders together with regional and global energy experts who will share their perspectives about the transition of long-standing mine operations, the unique challenges of remote sites, and the modern approaches being employed at new mines. The event will feature real-world case studies that focus on solutions for ensuring energy price security and strategies for moving toward decarbonised operations.
Let us help you address your needs in achieving net zero by improving energy efficiency and reliability.
Engage with our experts to discuss how