HVDC Light® (VSC)
Interconnecting Europe and beyond
HVDC Light®, based on VSC technology (Voltage Sourced Converter), is designed to transmit power underground and underwater, also over long distances. It offers numerous environmental benefits, including “invisible” power lines, neutral electromagnetic fields, oil-free cables and compact converter stations.
HVDC Light® increases the reliability of Hitachi Energy, and the technology extends the economical power range of HVDC transmission down to just a few tens of Megawatts (MW). In the upper range, the technology now reaches 3,000 MW and ±640 kV - enough electricity to power several million households and enable power transmission over 2,000 kilometers. The system design enables compact converter stations – a big benefit in applications like offshore wind and interconnections.
HVDC Light® is quick to install and provides an alternative to conventional AC transmission systems and local generation in several cases, such as:
- Connecting wind farms to the onshore grids
- Underground power links
- Providing shore power supplies to islands and offshore oil & gas platforms
- Connecting asynchronous grids
- City center infeed
Utilities are under extreme pressure to meet consumer and regulatory demands for a high-quality, competitively priced power supply that has a low environmental impact. The expansion of AC transmission capacity is often limited by local planning regulations and the concerns of local residents who object to the installation of new overhead lines.
It is now economically feasible to expand transmission capacity using Hitachi Energy's HVDC cables. This approach not only minimizes environmental impact but also improves the quality of the power supply.
- Over 60 years of HVDC experience
- More than 120 HVDC projects worldwide
- 20 years of experience within HVDC Light (VSC) technology
- 70% of all the VSC HVDC links in the world
- Dedicated customer service and comprehensive project management
- The highest level of integrity