Natural and sustainable cooling system for traction transformers that optimizes cost and improves reliability
As the global leader and a pioneer of traction transformer technology, Hitachi Energy has been supporting the rail industry by continuously optimizing its traction transformer solutions through constant innovation and technology enhancement.
Hitachi Energy is now introducing one such landmark solution in the form of the Natural Cooling Effilight® traction transformer (NCETT).
NCETT replaces the traditional fan-based cooling system with a natural and sustainable alternative – natural airflow of the train's motion.
The NCETT uses a specially designed cooling system that utilizes the natural air flow caused by the train’s motion and directs it to the heat exchangers, thereby eliminating the need for motorized air fans. Heated liquid pumped into the heat exchanger is cooled with natural air instead of motorized air fans and passed back inside the transformer.
The removal of air-fan-based cooling systems reduces the overall costs incurred on energy consumption and maintenance of the cooling system by train operators. The elimination of a fan-based cooling system reduces the risk of failure and improves reliability by 20% with no downtime for the fans, motors, and their supply system.
The NCETT is designed to work in both directions of the train’s motion. It can be mounted on the roof of the train as well as the underframe.
Main benefits of NCETT:
Optimized Lifecycle Ownership Cost and Energy savings:
- Savings on the energy consumed by the power cooling-motors
- Zero risk of failure for the fan, cooling motors, and their supply system
- Zero maintenance for the fans and cooling dampers, and reduced radiator cleaning
Improved reliability and availability
- Reliability improved by 20% with no downtime for the motors and their supply system
- FIT (Failure In Time) rate decreased by 20% due to the absence of fans
Operating noise reduction
- Removal of the fan reduces the resulting noise and improves overall passenger comfort and rail experience by the elimination of 10-15 dB(A) of cooling system noise
Something caught your eye?
Our sales team will get in touch with you